Representative Payee

We are dedicated to providing professional, caring financial management services designed to ensure a stable living environment for every client we serve. We believe in serving our clients’ best interests, providing for their current and foreseeable needs, and keeping our clients involved and aware of their finances.
learn more about representative payee

A Representative Payee is appointed when an individual receives benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) but is unable to manage his or her own funds. SSA usually looks for a Payee among the beneficiary’s family or friends. But for many beneficiaries, this traditional network of support is not available. In these cases, CoG is authorized by SSA to serve as Payee for beneficiaries who do not have a trusted family member or friend to manage their benefits.

CoG is not currently accepting new Representative Payee clients UNLESS 
we are otherwise serving the client in another legal role
if the client is a resident of a residential care community that is under contract with CoG 
for Representative Payee Services. 

Who May Need A Representative Payee?

  1. Any SSDI or SSI beneficiary who:
    Is under the age of 18, OR
  2. Found by a court to be legally incompetent, OR
  3. Is unable to manage his or her benefits due to mental illness, substance abuse problems, chronic homelessness, and/or other conditions that limit his or her capacity to manage money responsibly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Corporation of Guardianship charge a fee for this service?

Yes, CoG is a fee-for-service nonprofit organization. By charging a fee for the services provided for those who are able to pay, CoG is able to continue serving clients who run out of financial resources during their lifetime.

How does the Corporation of Guardianship serve as Representative Payee?

If CoG is serving a client in the role of Guardian, Trustee or Power-of-Attorney, we can also serve as Representative Payee. As Representative Payee, Corporation of Guardianship has the following required responsibilities as outlined by the Social Security Administration:
– Determine the beneficiary’s needs and use their payments to meet those needs.
– Save any money left after meeting the beneficiary’s current needs in an interest-bearing account or savings bonds for the beneficiary’s future needs.
– Report any changes or events which could affect the beneficiary’s eligibility for benefits or payment.
– Keep records of all payments received and how we spent and saved them.
– Provide benefit information to social service agencies or medical facilities that serve the beneficiary.
– Help the beneficiary get medical treatment when needed.
– Report any changes that would affect CoG’s ability to continue serving as Representative Payee.
– Complete written reports accounting for our use of funds.
– Return any payments to which the beneficiary is not entitled to the Social Security Administration.

I already have a Power-of-Attorney. Do I also need a Representative Payee?

Yes. The Treasury Department does not recognize Powers-of-Attorney for negotiating federal payments, including Social Security or SSI checks. This means, if you have Power-of-Attorney for someone who is incapable of managing his or her own benefits, you must still apply to serve as his or her Payee.

What is a Representative Payee?

A Representative Payee is a person or an organization appointed by the Social Security Administration to receive the Social Security or SSI benefits for anyone who can’t manage or direct the management of his or her benefits due to mental illness, substance abuse, or other conditions that limit the beneficiary’s capacity.

Where can I learn more about Representative Payee services?

The Social Security Administration –

Who May Need A Representative Payee?

Any SSDI or SSI beneficiary who:
1. Is under the age of 18, OR
2. Found by a court to be legally incompetent, OR
3. Is unable to manage his or her benefits due to mental illness, substance abuse problems, chronic homelessness, and/or other conditions that limit his or her capacity to manage money responsibly.

Who needs a Representative Payee?

The law requires most minor children and all legally incompetent adults to have payees. The Social Security Administration presumes an adult is capable of managing his or her own benefits. If it appears this may not be true, SSA gathers evidence to decide if they need to appoint a Representative Payee.

Will CoG serve as Representative Payee?

CoG does serve as Representative Payee, but only if we are named in another legal role. If CoG is serving a client as Guardian, Agent under a POA, or Trustee, we can serve as Representative Payee. We can also contract with residential care providers to serve groups of individuals as Representative Payee. We no longer offer Representative Payee services as a stand-alone service for individuals.


“It has been such a pleasure working with Corporation of Guardianship. Their team is caring, knowledgeable and responsive. Their commitment to the individuals and families they help support is unparalleled.”
Allison Sanders
VP of Business Development - Special Considerations
"I always find [CoG] goes above the expected. Each time we complete a goal, they are always looking for the next thing they can help with. When someone from the Corporation of Guardianship says they are going to do something, it gets done."
Family Member of Special Needs Trust Beneficiary Served since 2014
"Working side by side with The Corporation of Guardianship (CoG) has been a valued partnership throughout the years. As a home care agency, Options for Senior America has been able to see the impact that the CoG has had on their clients. They are able to provide a continuum of care that keeps their clients safe and in the right hands. Being able to witness firsthand, the dedication that they have to their clients and families has been nothing short of amazing. They have always been available, professional, and reliable. Options will always support the Corporation Guardianship and what they do for older adults and those with disabilities!"
Jered Yalung, Pharm.D.
VP of Marketing and Operations - Options for Senior America