A Guardian must be appointed by the court. In order for someone to have a Guardian appointed to them, that person must be declared legally incompetent by the court and, therefore, found in need of a Guardian. The person in question needs to be carefully examined by a medical, geriatric, or psychiatric specialist who can testify to the person’s incapacity. Someone must petition the local clerk of court to have the person adjudicated (declared) incompetent. Anyone who knows the person may petition, be it a family member, neighbor, mental health professional, Department of Social Services employee, etc.